I know that this blog was set up to talk about my "waiting period" as a single woman, but this topic has been on my heart and I really felt like I needed to share. So here's my outlet.
I think we (including myself), as a society, have become passionate to a fault.
Some of you reading this will probably think, "who are you?" I know that I'm probably one of the most vocal people that you'll come across because I'm passionate. I'm passionate about my beliefs, about my feelings, and about the things that I love. But lately, I've had to learn a lesson quietly and it's really taught me something vital.
This all came about because football season and our election has fallen relatively at the same time. Talk about getting people's feelings and thoughts out there on every social network available! And usually, I'm leading the parade. I love to stand up for what I believe in and I adore to talk junk about the other team, but I just couldn't do it lately. I had to quietly take a backseat and watch. Maybe I'm wrong, but I felt like God wanted me to be quiet and just see what other people's words were doing to each other. And I started learning very quickly that this is not what is healing our world. Stirring up political banter for either side only makes the opposition angry. And truly, nothing that is said on facebook or twitter is going to cause anyone to change their side and vote differently because they see my same viewpoint. Most of it is done, honestly, to either get your same party to agree with you or to spite the other party. And frankly, it's not Christ-like. Like I said before, I have VERY passionate opinions on the subject, but putting them out there on a social forum only adds fuel to a fire that's burning too brightly now. Simply put, I'm allowed to do something about my opinions on November 6th. And so is everyone else in America of age (and qualification).
And speaking of football, I feel like this one is even harder for me than politics! lol. I've had to bite my tongue already and we've only gone through one week of games. It will prove to be a long season. But, my whole point is that I love my friends and even those that I'm not that close to enough not to ostracize them with my words. Will I cheer for my team? With all my heart! Will I put your team down? Not anymore. I just can't see me trying to be a witness to someone who I've turned away with my words about a football team. It's not that important. And that's what we've got to look at. What's really important in all of this.
Jesus had people around him who were passionate to a fault. Simon Peter, one of Jesus' own disciples, got way too passionate during Jesus' arrest and cut a man's ear off! Jesus was like, "um whoa, we don't do that." That's my take on how Jesus handled it...I mean really, he put the man's ear back on his head and made Simon Peter pipe down. But we've all got to take a look at ourselves and see if we are freaking out about things that are insignificant (football) and things that will turn people away (politics). Will we be able to reach those that we've turned away with our words once the election is over? Will we be able to have the same friendships we once had? Are two minutes of venting worth losing love that is so hard to come by in this world?
So I leave you with this. One of the Pharisee's asked Jesus a question:
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” (Matthew 22:36 NIV). Jesus replied, ” ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Are we being neighborly?
No comments:
Post a Comment