tonight, while watching the epic reunion of the spice girls on the olympic closing ceremony, i tried to reminisce over other musical loves from the past. and then it gave me the idea to write a blog post and share it with you peeps. cause i know you love perusing through the ramblings of my boredom (that ends on Wednesday...*cries in anguish*). and you may think to yourself, "um, i thought this blog was all about the single life of a 27 year old waiting on a man. so what does this music post have anything to do with that?" ah, no worries. any of you that truly know me know that i envelope music. i mean, i envelope a lot. i envelope hamburgers, french fries, tacos, cookies, and lately, a LOT of fro-yo. but, symbolically, lets say i envelope music. and any man that's to marry me needs to understand that this is a HUGE part of who i am. and with this blog post, he's going to get to see some of the greats from the past and some of the darker secrets from the past. some of these could be ugly. brace yourselves.
Here we go. Just gonna do songs that I played OUT. I like lists:
1. (Since they rocked the house tonight, I'll start with them.) Spice Girls - Wannabe
Um, had the tape single to this. Kids, if you don't know what a tape single is, get out. I played that junk out. And the part where scary spice starts her rap-type singing was my fav...KILLED IT!
2. (This is one of the scary ones...) Lou Bega - Mambo Number 5
I don't know what it was about Lou, but I could NOT get enough of this stupid song. Fortunately, I've had plenty now. I can't tell you why this song was so catchy to me, but it was definitely a guilty pleasure back in the day for me. It's sad for me to admit now.
3. Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby
Along with the rest of America, I loved this song. I loved ALL of Mariah's old stuff. I've probably said it before, but I randomly asked the "Easter Bunny" for Mariah Carey cd's every year for several years in a row, so I was hooked. But I can fondly remember this music video (when they actually had music videos) of her swinging on that tire swing singing this all-time great! Such a classic.
4. Limp Bizkit - Nookie
Ok, so you may be saying to yourself, "what?! Brooke! Do you know what that song is about?!" Have you ever listened to a song as a kid and then gone back and listened to something as an adult...and then been like, WHAT THE HECK WAS I LISTENING TO?!?! Yeah, had that moment. I truly loved Limp Bizkit because they have that rap/hardcore mix that I dig, but that song was definitely not a good representation of the Christian life...to say the least. And I found that out once I paid attention to the lyrics! I told you, dark secrets! The things you learn as you get older!
5. (And last but not least...I'd do more, but I'm sure you're bored by now!) TLC - No Scrubs
Out of all the music that I've listened to, of all time, I guarantee you I listened to this song the most. Hands down. I had this thing on tape single and I can vividly remember my grandpa letting me always drive his jeep around in his yard all the time. And i was forever slaying every line to this jam. i went to the beach with my grandparents and what did we listen to on the way there? THIS SONG! with my grandparents! i can't believe they listened to it! i'm sitting here laughing at the fact that my grandparents rode all the way to the beach listening to "no scrubs." i was beyond obsessed. im surprised the tape didn't break. tlc did this one right. and they taught me a valuable lesson that fits perfectly into this blog: i will never accept a scrub for a husband. no no no.
so i hope you've enjoyed this journey back into the past crevices of some of my musical dreams and nightmares. if you are a single man reading this, you should go ahead and apply for my hand in marriage because only an awesome woman could have such excellent choices in music and still be single. i'm sure that i'll be going quickly. time's ticking boys. :)





No comments:
Post a Comment